Saturday, November 8, 2014

Writer's Choice-Pop Culture Review



The music review on the band "Modest Mouse" by Brain Howe covers an array of lyric interpretation that will intrigue anyone who feels the urge to "get away".

Brian Howe created an interesting article reviewing the band Modest Mouse. He originally states that the band is not how they "were in the 90's". Howe slowly analyzes the lyrics and meanings from Modest Mouses's early songs to their later songs and it seems like he likes the evolution of their music. He argues that Modest Mouse had such a unique sound for their time in the 90's, and anyone could instantly recognize their music. Although he says he really likes their music, he claims that the best part of their songs is of course the deep meaning of the lyrics.
What I liked about the article is how he interpreted the meaning of their songs.
The way Howe analyzes what their song meanings is very close to how I interpreted their songs as well. I have always liked Modest Mouse because the basis of their songs is about traveling to new places, but still being restless and never being able to find fulfillment in one particular spot. As in one of Modest Mouse's songs, the lyrics say 
Walked away to another plan. 
Gonna find another place, maybe one I can stand. 
I move on to another day, 
to a whole new town with a whole new way. 
Went to the porch to have a thought. 
Got to the door and again, I couldn't stop.   

Howe states that the lead singer,

"Wants to wrench apart ground and sky, prefabricated towns and consumer culture, to find an exit hatch into some deeper, more meaningful state of being which, as he suspects on "Exit Does Not Exist", is a fantasy."

I connect with this because after I have had the taste of traveling and experiencing new cultures, I feel that time is slipping away and I need to move on with my life and see new places, meet new people, and so on. I really appreciate how Howe looks deep into the meaning of Modest Mouses's music, much like I do. I really enjoyed reading the article!






http://www.kvia.com/image/view/-/27515364/highRes/2/-/y0ff5w/-/modest-jpg.jpg

1 comment:

  1. It seems that you got a lot out of reading the article by Brian Howe. This shows me that articles can have a lot of influence on a person, such as you. I can tell that you are for and not against how Howe wrote this article. This article shows that all written work, such as song lyrics, can be analyzed even further and deeper to find something meaningful within.

    ReplyDelete