Saturday, October 18, 2014


The movie "12 Years A Slave" has more deep meanings and real emotional effect than most other movies I have seen.




The movie “12 Years A Slave” is an emotional and shocking movie. The main character is an African American man named Solomon who was a free man in upstate New York during the time of great slavery in the United States. He somehow gets kidnapped and sold into the slave market and is stripped of his whole life for many years. Eventually, though, he is able to show his papers proving he is a free man. To choose one particular important scene from the movie is rather difficult due to the many emotional jerking scenes, but I chose his hanging scene to be the most important at about 47 minutes in.
Solomon trying to stand as people avoid him
 After disrespecting one of his “masters”, the man tied a rope around Solomon’s neck and begins to hang him in broad daylight from a tree branch while he curses in anger at him. As Solomon is choking and gasping, another one of his masters arrives on the scene and basically threatens the hanger to leave. After both men kind of scram away, they left Solomon hanging there with just the tips of his feet touching the muddy ground, squirming to keep his neck above the rope length to stay alive. The scene is quiet besides the gurgling and breathing from Solomon. Also, all you see is other slaves walking in the sunshine minding their own business, not daring to risk their lives to save this man. I think this is important because it shows how real and disturbing slave America really was. The power white men had over slaves to force them to be so immune to a life of violence and devoid of hope is heart wrenching. Not to forget the scene was excruciatingly long, making this terrible feeling dwell inside you as you watch it. 

http://pmcvariety.files.wordpress.com/2014/02/12-years-a-slave1.jpg?w=1000&h=563&crop=1
http://visualcultureblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/12-Years-a-Slave-Lynching-Scene-04.jpg

1 comment:

  1. I didn't choose this movie, but it is a movie that I would eventually like to see in the future. I like how you described your favorite scene by using a lot of descriptive words and sentences. From reading this post I gather that this was something that was taken seriously by African Americans. They weren't treated as equal as white Americans. It shows how times have changed for the better today.

    ReplyDelete