Sunday, October 12, 2014

Journal 3- "Fruitvale Station"

"Fruitvale Station" has several different meanings and important scenes that express those meanings. I believe the most important scene is when we learn who Oscar really is.


                To me, the most important scene in “Fruitvale Station” is the scene where everyone is gathered together at Oscar’s Mom’s house for her birthday. Although this scene doesn’t get to the climax of the movie, it really builds character and emotion in the viewer. This scene ranged from 38 to 43 minutes. It starts out with Oscar, his wife, and his daughter getting out of the car and entering Grandma’s house. Inside, they are welcomed by other family member and friends all there together to celebrate Oscar’s Mom’s birthday. Together, everyone helped prepare food, socialized, and gathered around for prayer.
Actual Photo of Oscar 
 Not only was the cultural aspect of the movie touching, but so was the way the film makers incorporated music and slow moving camera angles. The reason I think this is important is because it helps build Oscar’s character and lets you see what kind of life he comes from and how good of a family he had. With this building of the main character, I felt sympathy, anger, and complete hurt from what happened to Oscar in the end. Many times people hear of deaths on the news due to racial conflict, but rarely bat an eye to these occurrences. It seems that our society is so desensitized to deaths of innocent people because we don’t get the chance to get the insight of who the victim was. I believe the overall message of this movie was racism, and seeing that Oscar was a loving father, friend, husband, and son, really helps the viewer realize that his death was unethically tragic. It also helped me sympathize with others who may suffer the kind of torment they may receive from racism, because they are people with lives, families, and a purpose too, just like Oscar. 
SOURCES: 
http://cdn2-b.examiner.com/sites/default/files/styles/article_large/hash/d6/9e/d69e72a2802467d792d3213f3abcc06d.jpg?itok=zzpnP38Z

http://www.awardscircuit.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/fruitvale-station.jpg

1 comment:

  1. I like how you were able to sympathize with Oscar and his family during the time of his death. I thought this movie relates to what is going on in the present day, especially with what is happening in Missouri. You said that you felt this movie showed racism, maybe this movie can help others realize that racism is out there and is a big problem in certain areas. Although I didn't big the same scene that you did, I still agree with you that it is just as important. At the end of the movie when Oscar dies, the viewers finally see him as a family guy.

    ReplyDelete